Skip to content

So many boxes

August 17, 2009

We’re here….it still hasn’t hit me really that I’m gone, I’m not in California anymore.  That Mark and I are living together, I have to share all my movies and dishes and stuff.  That I’m starting my job at a new site tomorrow – doing some of the same and some new projects.  That all the friends I saw a week ago are now another time zone away….

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited and happy about the changes, the new life that’s shaping up.  But change is always bittersweet.

The move, for the most part, has gone relatively smoothly.  Mark arrived safe and sound last Tuesday in time to come out to dinner with my group from work and I.  The next day we picked up the trailer and loaded it up and were ready to go.  Until we realized Marie the cat had disapeared.  An hour and a half of searching later, we found here and got ready to take off.  Until we realized the trailer was too front heavy…you get the idea.  Just when you think you’re ready to go 🙂  But finally we took off for an uneventful drive to Mesquite, Nevada.  We found a hotel for the night (Virgin Rivers Casino, they take pets!) and called it a night.  The next day was the big push through Arizona (ok, only an hour or so of Arizona), all of Utah, and part of Colorado.  We made it to Grand Junction and debated whether or not to stop for the night but decided to push on.  A side note, apparently coffee is not served after 7:30 at night in Colorado.  It took me about an hour of getting off the freeway, arguing with the Garmin, and circling around before I found coffee to carry me the rest of the way to Lafayette.  Luckily Marie held up pretty well throughout the trip, though she did start getting antsy for the last hour of the drive.

Friday we spent unpacking and picking up stuff from Mark’s old place.  It’s amazing how much more quickly unpacking goes.  We’re mostly set up after a few trips to the store to pick up things.  We’ve even managed to find a couch to come later this week (assuming it can fit through the door….)  Mark takes off tomorrow for a few days in DC and I’ll have the place to myself (to rearrange to my liking, basically).  We’re living in a townhouse in a cute little complex that could almost be a Disneyland set if the colors were brighter.  It’s a nice place, with enough room for Mark to have an office and for me to have a craft room.  The pictures are up and it’s feeling more like home.

That’s it for tonight.  Wish me luck on my first day tomorrow!

3 Comments leave one →
  1. August 17, 2009 2:29 pm

    Glad the move was (mostly) uneventful and everyone is safe! Hope your first day is going smoothly 🙂

  2. August 18, 2009 2:59 am

    i’m glad you are safe and sound!
    hae a good first day at work!

  3. August 18, 2009 5:05 am

    Yay, I’m glad you’re getting settled in. So how’d your first day go??

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: